MAGAZINE DESIGNER, Junior to Middleweight
Watkins is a well-known mind, body & spirit publisher and bookseller, with a fast growing magazine division that now produces Watkins Mind Body Spirit magazine, Kindred Spirit magazine and inspiriert! magazine.
We are looking for a creative and talented designer with a proven track record in print and an excellent portfolio of layout and typographic work to join our magazine team. You will have a clear understanding of print design requirements. You will have an in-depth knowledge of InDesign and have experience producing editorially focused work (magazines, books, annual reports).
What we’re looking for:
• 2-3 years of work experience in print and editorial design
• Passionate about typography and layouts
• Fluency in InDesign, good command of Photoshop and Illustrator
• Ability to follow guidelines, text and colour styles
• Work with created layout and be able to evolve it constantly
• Exceptionally keen eye for detail
• Problem solver
• Ability to work calmly under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Creative flair and positive attitude
• Interest in mind body spirit
Reporting to creative director, you will be working with editorial and ad sales colleagues across our mind, body & spirit magazines. Your main responsibility will be design and layout of the magazines. You will use stock photo libraries to illustrate the articles and produce distinct editorial layouts. You will be responsible for outputting print-ready PDFs and checking digital proofs to ensure fit and quality of product.
There will be many other design projects that you will be contributing to:
• Design of inhouse and client ads for both print and digital;
• Creation of digital design for use on our websites and social media platforms;
• Design and production of promotional materials, flyers, bookmarks etc.
In addition to excellent InDesign skills, you will need:
• Good communication skills to ensure planning schedules run smoothly.
• Great progress reporting skills at every stage of the design and artwork process.
• Pre-press skills such as image processing, PDF creation, proof checking.
• Methodical approach to archiving images and artwork.
This role is available on a full time or freelance basis for the right candidate.
Based next to Watkins Bookshop in Covent Garden, this is a great opportunity to work across 3 titles and help develop this fast-growing family of mind, body & spirit magazines.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV with a short covering email and salary expectations to Marianna Ilfeld on email@example.com